Routinely during the year and each week during the legislative session, I send out update emails and questions on which that I need your input. Below is the December 2013 pre-session email as an example.
PLEASE SEND ME A RESPONSE SO I MAY ADD YOU TO MY EMAIL LIST TO OBTAIN YOUR INPUT AND PROVIDE UPDATES TO YOU.
Senator Wayne Harper
State of Utah
Senate District 6
West Jordan & Taylorsville
December 1, 2013
RE: PRE-2014 SESSION REQUEST FOR INPUT AND PRIORITIES
Dear Friends and Neighbors:
Prior to the 2014 legislative session that starts the end of January, I am requesting your input and recommendations.
There are many issues that have been discussed this year during interim meetings and as I meet with constituents as well as several key budgetary items for the next session.
Please respond to me with your comments, concerns, issues and recommendations.
Some of the key topics for the 2014 Session include:
· Common Core, is it good or bad and what does Utah do with it?
· Projected budget surpluses and additional revenue (as much as $300 million)
· Construction of new higher education and state buildings
· Local government proposal to increase the motor fuel tax by 3% (about 10 cent per gallon)
· Proposal that the state should assume management and operations of national parks and monuments
· A proposal to reduce the number of exemptions a family can claim so that families with children in school will be paying more income tax. (To generate about $400 million more for public education.)
· 30 bills on health care reform
· 30 bills on elections
· 40 bills on education
· 25 bills on tax law revisions
· Many bills on business code, towing, business development and air quality
Thank you for your involvement in this process.
I look forward to hearing from you on your priorities and issues and how I can better prepare for the upcoming session!
Proudly Serving West Jordan & Taylorsville